NEBRASKA HIGH SCHOOL RODEO
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
February 5th, 2023
DIRECTORS PRESENT: Jason Ohm, Shane Gorwill, Tim Vaughn, Jenny Johnston, Jasper Fanning, Jamie Olson, Will Druery, Jim Buss, Brett Miller, Levi Fisher, Adam Clark & Sharlene Buss
DIRECTOR ABSENT: Richard Schrunk
Meeting was call to order @ 1:00 pm by Jason Ohm
Minutes from the December 18th, 2022 meeting were read.
Motion to approve minutes was made by Sharlene. 2nd by Jasper. Motion Carried
Visitors were invited to share public comments.
Halie gave financial reports
Central Entry – $6564.60
Raffle – $111,878.60
Student – $6866.74
Sharlene made a motion to approve financial reports.
2nd by Tim. Motion carried.
Halie gave updated raffle information and suggested changes for this year’s raffle.
- No longer accepting cash, but can accept Venmo.
- In order to be in compliance with the Nebraska Gaming Commission we must have our drawing at a live event & we must track and have students accountable for the tickets they are given. All unsold tickets must be turned back in.
- Jim & Sharlene agreed to be on the raffle committee.
- We will also need some parents to be on the raffle committee. Halie will check with last years committee to see if they are willing to be on the committee this year as well.
Halie gave a sponsor update.
- She proposed starting a social media committee made up of Student officers to promote the association as well as sponsors.
- Social media committee will be made up of: Ali Vaughn & Kylie Lancaster along with Halie.
- Tim, Jasper & Jenny agreed to be on the Sponsorship committee and will work with the social media committee to get more exposure for our sponsors.
Jenny gave a scholarship funds report. We have 68 seniors this year.
- Motion was made by Will to set aside $22,500 to give out (15) $1000 scholarships @ (15) $500 scholarships for our 2023 Seniors.
- Motion was 2nd by Brett
- Motion passed
Sharlene gave a Mid Winter Meeting Report.
- She gave the following rule changes:
- Shooting Sports: require long sleeve shirts and back numbers.
- Breakaway: must have solid color flag (Effective now)
- Breakaway: bell collar catch only (Effective this Fall)
Chuck from Albion approached the board to host a High School Rodeo along with a Jr. High Rodeo this Fall.
- He is going to check with stock contractors to see if logistically they would have enough space for all the stock needed to host a combined event. If he was able to host a combined event, it would be Fall in 2023.
- If he was to host only a High School Rodeo, it would be Fall of 2024 as all his fall dates for 2023 are booked out.
Nate from the Southwest High School Rodeo Committee spoke on behalf of their committee notifying the Board they will not be hosting a High School Rodeo this year.
Jasper gave a Central Entry Line Committee update.
Their committee is recommending to adopt the following policies:
- Entry payments by check must be submitted with a print screen of payment amount due from the entry system with payment.
- For next season, the membership deadline is set 10 days prior to the entry opening date for the first weekend and 10 days prior to the entry closing date of any subsequent rodeo.
- Fines should be paid through an online entry system, unless a fine imposed must necessarily be paid to compete at the same rodeo or weekend. In those circumstances the association should provide recipe forms to each committee and on the website to track payments made at rodeos along with instructions on entering fine payments into the entry system.
Other items discussed:
- Paying for all rodeos at once is not going to be possible with RMS as our association is the only one that has requested the feature.
- Based on the processes used in the RMS software the committee doe not recommend making the sating update with unofficial results (prior to being audited)
Jasper made. Motions to adapt 1-3. Jenney 2nd. Motion carried.
Jasper gave a website update.
He is waiting to hear back from Lindasy Heiden as to what options we have to move over to our own host for the website.
Spring banner schedule was updated:
- To Hyannis —Levi
- Hyannis to Arthur — Jason
- Arthur to Burwell — Shane
- Burwell to Madison – Jim
- Madison to Thedford – Brett
- Thedford to Stapleton – Will
- Stapleton to Atkinson – Jasper
- Atkinson to Valentine – Jenny
- Valentine to Harrison – Richard
- Harrison to Crawford – Tim
- Crawford to Burwell – Scott
Jim gave State Finals Update
- Burwell is working on adding more electrical hookups and also planning to set up tents with stall to get additional stalls.
- They are still working options for the Secretary’s office .
Possible appeal process for judges & contractors was discussed. Board decided we needed to refer back to the PRCA rule book to see if something is already in place before implementing our own.
MaKayla gave a side pot update.
- She shared the poll results she received from the students. 97% who responded said they would like to have an opportunity to enter a side pot.
- Jasper will set up a time to meet with Sara to see if RMS can handle a side pot. Will report back.
Board reviewed Spring Rodeo Applications.
Jasper move to approve rodeo approvals. Motion was 2nd by Will. Motion carried.
Jim made a motion to go into executive session @ 6:20 pm.
Jim made a motion to adjourn at 6:59. Motion was 2nd by Jamie. Motion passed